Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Men's Shirt to Halter, DIY

After I made my Re-Style this week,  I was left with a pitiful, sleeveless, men's shirt.  I went directly to the internet and started to search ideas.   Then I remembered that Keira, from the Blog A Pretty Penny, had posted a Re-Style about a Halter made out of a men's shirt, HERE. She, in turn, got this fantastic idea from, Christina, and her cute  blog~ 6 petals, Here.   I thought this would be an excellent idea for my poor over sized, sleeveless shirt. Just look how sad my shirt looks, down below, before the Re-Style. 
Seriously, it needed some love.

 Tutorial
Things You Need.
1. Men's shirt
2. Scissors
3. Sewing Machine
4. Large safety Pins

 Take your scissors and cut from the arm pit to the top collar, like the picture above.

Then on the back, cut out  from the arm pit straight across to the middle leaving a 5 inch band, do that on both sides.


 Try on the shirt inside out and pin under your arms to make the shirt fit, then pin all the way down. I darted on the chest area, to take out extra material.
Try on the shirt again after you have sewn it to make sure it fits.  Now is the time to make any corrections.
Once you like how everything looks, you can trim all the excess material.
and Iron.


Then I attached the braid to the top.
  I ironed and hemmed the arms, to make it have a finished look.


OLD

NEW

And now you have a new shirt thanks to  
Thanks Girls, for such a great idea.
<3
Anne
Linking to


32 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I am so in love with this top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne you look so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great re-style!! You're such a fab seamstress!! :)

    Sadie x
    http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. the braid in the back was a great touch! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg! This looks so professional! Can I send a suitcase full of unwanted clothes and you do your magic and send it back please?? Haha! Really, you're such a talent! Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Anne--you rocked this restyle. I love the look of mixing floral & striped patterns, and the tie is awesome! Thank you so much for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look gorgeous! Also I want to do this but have no sewing machine...mine broke in my last move :(. I kind of want to attempt anyway...I'd probably jsut minus the darts. Thank you always for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute redo! I just love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That braid at the back of the shirt is genius! Looks fantastic!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out great! Love the braid detail:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! I may need to try it! Pinning it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey...this got "most clicked on" over at Creating my way to success. Congrats! Great project.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic, my weekend project - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you! I made one and LOVE it. I'm going to have to buy him new shirts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks pretty. Nice man's shirt convert
    Http://www.4polinka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing another great idea. I have some blouses that will not be thrown out now =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love finding new ways to use shirts.. thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just had to try it. Works awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just had to try it. Works awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I'm in the middle of this right now && I'm thinking of doing tucks under the boobs instead of darts. Any thoughts? I dont wanna do it if it'll look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So I'm in the middle of this right now && I'm thinking of doing tucks under the boobs instead of darts. Any thoughts? I dont wanna do it if it'll look bad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So I'm in the middle of this right now && I'm thinking of doing tucks under the boobs instead of darts. Any thoughts? I dont wanna do it if it'll look bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just try it and see how it looks, you could always take the tucks out if it doesn't work.:)

      Delete
  23. This was so much fun! Mine had pockets with flaps, and the darts worked perfectly stitched along the top seam of the pocket flap. I salvaged a great snap shirt for this! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, your so welcome. Thank you so much for your feed back, have a fantastic day:)

      Delete

I would LOVE to hear from you. If you have a question, Please leave your Email so that I can respond. I try and respond to all my comments. Have a beautiful day!!